Friday, May 6, 2011

Accipiter cooperii

When I arrived home from work and was fiddling for the key to the front door the other day, I heard a commotion in the tree right out front of my house.  I looked up and saw a raptor (no, not a dinosaur adept at opening doors and eating Australian big-game hunters), perched on a limb, beginning to eat a smaller bird.  I'm not all too good with bird identification, so I wasn't sure what it was, but it wasn't anything I've seen before.  I often see red-tailed hawks, but this one was a little smaller and the appearance was way off.  I eventually learned it was a Cooper's Hawk, and a female at that.  I watched as it ate the entire bird (I'm not sure what species the prey was), plucking its dinner's feathers out and sending them fluttering to the ground.  I took some photos, as I'm not sure when I'll witness this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment