Saturday, March 24, 2012

Union Ridge Cemetery

Union Ridge Cemetery is located on the Northwest Side of Chicago, on the glacial ridge known as Union Ridge (hence the name).  It is a small, old, and relatively poorly-maintained graveyard, mainly the resting place of early settlers and 19th/early 20th century Chicagoans and immigrants.  It predates most other cemeteries in the area and the vast majority of houses within miles.  There is a small section dedicated to Civil War veterans, complete with an old cannon.  It is within easy biking distance from my house, so I often visit here for a little "off-roading" (the rough gravel road is heavily potholed and bumpy; I never ride off the road).  I have visited here often and have photographed here before (see http://thejosecshow.blogspot.com/2011/03/dramatic-juxtoposition.html), but this morning I woke up to see a thick fog rolling in so I thought I'd try to catch some eerie moments with my camera, but as luck would have it, I didn't quite get the effect I wanted (mostly because the cemetery is located on the higher end of the ridge and the fog tends to roll downward).  Still, I spent about a half hour here and thought I'd share a few shots of the place, including a few that portray its neglected character.

No comments:

Post a Comment