Sunday, July 1, 2012

DRCA II

I visited the RDCA today to gather information for my internship with FOTP.  Specifically, for clues as to how the local hydrology affects the prairie crayfish (Procambarus gracilis).  In the past I have seen countless crayfish burrows and chimneys, but this drought we are experiencing has forced the crayfish to stay deep within their burrows and cease additional excavation.  I did find a few old eroded chimneys and holes, but nothing to write home about.  One thing I have learned is that these animals are extraordinarily tough creatures.  Considering the source of water that feeds these wetlands, and the proximity of the crayfish to these wetlands, it is astounding that they can thrive and reproduce.  Their existence is crucial, as they are responsible for bringing nutrients found in the clay layer up to the surface.  Their burrows are also used by a variety of other animals, including several species of snakes, amphibians, rodents, and a host of invertebrates.  Today I noticed a small black rodent (a meadow vole?) scuttle into a dried-up crayfish burrow as I walked by.  Whether this was its home or whether it vanished into the nearest shelter due to my intrusion, I don't know.  Still, I'm sure those holes regularly save them from predation.

Just like my search for the Kirtland's snake seems impossible in this hot drought, any chances of finding these crayfish for analysis seem unlikely.  At this point, the only stimulus that could resurrect these crayfish would be a downpour.  I'll just have to wait until it gets cooler.  I think that's also when I will continue searching for the Kirtland's snakes.  Until then, there are a variety of insects in action in the prairie, as well as an explosion of plant life.  More invasive species were seen today, including blooming Queen Anne's lace (Daucus carota) as well as more wild parsnip.  The teasel (Dipsacus sp.) is out of control.  The good news is that some of the native plants are still fighting, and with increased restoration, over time this area can be an oasis for native grasses and wildflowers. 

Queen Anne's Lace

Young praying mantis
Squash bug
The prairie

No comments:

Post a Comment