Saturday, July 6, 2013

Peace & Quiet & Mosquitoes & Ticks

I took a ride today to (code name) the desert of the East.  I intended to go herping and had my sights set on snakes, specifically Pituophis, Coluber, Lampropeltis, Heterodon, and Thamnophis.  I found none of the above, but instead the hordes of mosquitoes and many pesky ticks found me.  Before I left, I did manage to find all of two toads.  I want to return when the parasites die down a little because it was getting to be really irritating.  I was here two weeks ago and got rained out, but managed to do a little scouting which helped me to plan today a bit.
Woodland road that leads to sand dunes
A beautiful Fowler's toad (Anaxyrus fowleri)
They will always be Bufo to me...
Typical sand prairie habitat
Anaxyrus (Bufo) americanus toadlet
One of many seemingly endless backroads
Hey!
 A fitting end


No comments:

Post a Comment