Sunday, April 20, 2014

Skunked by the "Queens of the Streams"

I've been holding queen snakes (Regina septemvittata) in high regard as of late.  I keep thinking about the first time I ever saw one.  I was probably about ten or eleven years old, and we were at our old campground, where we used to go for the weekends throughout spring, summer, and fall every year.  Walking along the narrow creek that wound through the campground, I'd gently brush my foot alongside the streamside vegetation in order to spook frogs and sometimes snakes into the water, where I'd step in to catch them.  This time, a strange looking striped brownish-yellow snake appeared from the bank of the creek and quickly slithered under a huge piece of submerged limestone.  It wasn't a Northern water snake nor was it a garter.  I knew it was probably a queen snake based on the habitat and the abundant crayfish in the area (the queen snake's primary food).  I suppose it could have been a Graham's crayfish snake, but for one reason or another I've always considered that a queen snake sighting.  It was one of many occasions where one split second sighting of something compelled me to pursue the matter further.

So today, I embarked on a road trip of moderate distance to a location where queen snakes have been sighted in recent years.  When I arrived, there was no doubt that the habitat was right - a long, wide, shallow rocky steam with plenty of flat pieces of limestone distributed everywhere.  The stream meandered through an old-growth woodland, sections of which haven't been managed and are overgrown in dense shrubbery and thorny brambles (unfortunately I can all too well attest to their effectiveness in diverting anything and anyone).  The stream was beautiful, but due to its proximity to a parking lot and a gravel path, it is the victim of careless exploitation by people over the years.  It is littered in trash, including a lot of broken glass bottles.  There were people picking up and heaving the limestone slabs into deeper parts of the stream, I suppose in order to make a big splash.  And the off-leash dogs, well, nothing sets the tone like two disobedient pit bulls running into and around the stream while their owners yell and scream at them to "get back here!".

I decided to walk along the stream as far as I could go.  The gravel path had turned back and I kept on walking.  Away from interpretive signs, away from the sounds of people and their barking dogs.  I traversed across an old but active railroad embankment and followed the stream past that.  There, the stream entered a fairy tale setting.  The stream banks were lush in green spring vegetation and not one human footprint could be seen.  The water was stunningly crystal clear and teeming with all kinds of small fish.  The sounds of woodland birds became more pronounced as the ambient noise transitioned to the sounds of a babbling brook.  Only twice did the sounds of a passing freight train disrupt the tranquil setting.  I made my way further into this amazing place.  Several frogs plopped into the water, and Northern brown snakes were seen on the crawl.  I sat on a log to process for a minute or two before heading back the way I came, keeping an eye out for suitable pieces of flat limestone to carefully flip.  I did not find any queen snakes today.  But, I was saved by a bunch of Northern brown snakes and some frogs, and found a new place to return to in the future when I feel the urge to reunite with one of the queens.

A section of the stream ravaged by unruly people and their off-leash dogs.  Though fairly degraded, it is still beautiful.
 And here we see an area downstream, well past the pathways and parking lots.  I doubt anyone goes here regularly; the journey is quite a daunting task.  However, the rewards are well worth it.
A dark, cooperative green frog (Lithobates clamitans)


While walking one of the gravel footpaths, I came across a number of Northern brownsnakes (Storeria dekayi) crossing the path.  I did assist in helping them meet their goal by moving them off.  There was a good amount of activity on the path, including cyclists, and no one else noticed the snakes.  This one was pretty big, as far as brownsnakes go. 



And then of course the thanks I get for helping.  A bad attitude, and a well-timed musking.

And one youngster.  Beware the cursed evil serpent!  Oh how this wretched creature strikes fear into the hearts of the innocent!!  How can we ever prosper among these vile beasts??
And finally, a few spiders to round things out.  This one is yet to be identified...
Some kind of wolf spider?
 I think, definitely,a wolf spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment