Sunday, July 19, 2015

Pennsylvania, pt. 3

In what was probably the last business trip I'll be making to the Second State (at least for awhile), I found an opportunity to take one quick side trip to Jim Thorpe, a tiny, picturesque town located in the Pocono Mountains.  I probably would have taken more side trips, but in truth, the work I was involved in was fairly exhausting, and most afternoons, I just wanted to eat something and rest.  But before I got lazy, I decided I would take a crack at finding one of several herp species known to occur in the surrounding natural habitat.  A Facebook friend, Mike Collalto, pointed me in the direction of where he found snakes such as timber rattlesnakes, Eastern hognose, and black racers back in the day when he lived in the area.  I did not find any herps in my short trip, but the area was so beautiful, that - mark my words - I will return someday with Aimee, even just to take in the gorgeous scenery.

A few pics from this outing, which occurred on June 15th.  I would have stuck around and taken more cell phone pictures, but a rather tempestuous storm blew in and washed away the rest of the afternoon.

 An Eastern tiger swallowtail (Papilio glaucus), found resting on the gravelly path.
 Mike told me to walk these tracks and to scan the foot of the bluffs.  I didn't get far before the sky turned ominous.
 Always a reassuring notification!

No comments:

Post a Comment