Saturday, March 19, 2016

February snakes

It's been a mild late winter.  As I write this, it's actually officially the first day of spring, though it felt springy a lot over the last month or so.  Scattered days with temperatures reaching the 40s, 50s, and 60s.  A lot of rain, too - the chorus frogs were calling in early to mid February in a few locations, followed by leopard frogs.  Salamanders were on the move early in March, and at times as early as late February.  The vernal ponds in northern Cook County were still partially frozen when I found my first herps of the year (not including the ever-active mudpuppies) in late February, three Chicago garter snakes and a handful of central newts.  Here's a brief report from a mild, sunny day in late February in Cook County.
My first reptile of the year, as found.  A fresh out of brumation Chicago garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis semifasciatus).


 Later, I saw two more garter snakes, a male and a female in very close proximity (though not close enough to reasonable fit both in the frame).  Here is one of them in-situ.
 At least I didn't get skunked.

No comments:

Post a Comment