Sunday, May 4, 2014

May the 4th be with you nature walk

After a busy Saturday at the nature museum and then yard work, I felt that a few hours of practice with the new macro lens was in order.  Practicing the settings indoors isn't the same as practicing outdoors, especially when the bulk of my photos are of the outdoor variety.  The sky threatened off and on most of the day but ultimately it remained dry and the day ended cool but sunny.  I tested the aperture settings on a couple of found blue-spotted salamanders.  I would like to produce photos like those other photographers with the same macro lens produce - sharp, vivid close-ups of small animals and invertebrates.  I've taken a few but most so far need work.  This new lens has tons of potential, I just need to unlock it and it will take time.  I'll try to keep this less wordy and let the photos speak for themselves.  Some shots from today's Cook County Forest Preserve hike (the blue-spotted salamander site I frequent).




A forest of mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum).  
 Blue-spotted salamander (Ambystoma laterale).
 Two blue-spotteds.
 Deer skull as-found in the savanna.
 Eastern spring beauty (Clytonia virginica).  These flowers bloom for only three days.
 Tender spring foliage of prairie betony on the prairie.
 Quite a handsome Thamnophis radix (plains garter snake) if you ask me...
 ...but again I'm quite biased!

 Ventral view of a red-bellied snake (Storeria occipitomaculata) found at the railroad tracks.  The dorsal shots I took didn't come out quite well...

No comments:

Post a Comment