Sunday, May 25, 2014

Spring progresses

I haven't had a lot of time for hikes lately, but I've squeezed in a few here and there.  I'll share a few photos from the last couple weeks.














Trillium
 Phlox
A Chicago garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis semifasciatus) as found in situ.
 A little closer
Portrait
 A Northern leopard frog (Lithobates pipiens) in a roadside pond.
Tiger salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum)
Be creative...
Some oak seedlings seen in a sandy black oak dune ecosystem in Will County.  Taking this photo meant halting my quick pace through mosquito- and tick-infested woods and resulted in several mosquito bites on the back of my neck and perhaps a tick or two on the cuffs of my pants, even though I had previously applied permethrin and DEET to them.  Blood-sucking bugs south of I-80 seem unaffected by these deterrents...
 Dragonfly 
 Wild blackberry growing in sandy soil
 
Cleft phlox (Phlox bifida) growing in the sand prairie 
Argghh!!  A stinkin' lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum) in situ.  You know the tick situation is bad when I find them scheming on individual blades of grass.  I leave with a blurry photo of a tick because not everything in the life of a naturalist is copacetic.  Depending on where they are and the time of year, ticks can really be a pain.  Especially ones like this that can spread diseases.  




No comments:

Post a Comment